Re: [Aroid-l] Selling plants on the aroid website??????

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Selling plants on the aroid website??????
  • From: Ken Mosher ken@spatulacity.com
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:34:32 -0500

Hey, don't let my experience discourage anyone from taking on this project!

Brian has offered to do the ongoing monitoring of auctions for the rest of time. Which server-side web developer out there is willing to evaluate 3 to 5 of the tons of programs that cost under $100 to see which ones suck and which ones are great?

Oh, wait, until the webmaster declares whether we must use ASP, or PHP or JSP we can't do the evaluation. Which backend database will our host support? That will narrow down those tons of programs to a much smaller number. Now someone has to find a good product from that reduced pool. Only choose a product that's been out for at least 3 years and has 100 installations - pool is even smaller. Only choose a product that has an active support forum so when things go wrong we can fix them. Pool got even smaller.

A true tale:
A friend of mine asked me to design a fancy, party-neutral political web site for him. Among other things, he wanted a forum for discussion of town issues. I told him I'd make him a site, but I wouldn't maintain it. I didn't have the time for that. I did a search and found tons of choices for forum software. I whittled them down to just the ones written in ASP, since that's what I know. I read about the features carefully, I looked at the vendors' sites and at demo forums. I chose Snitz, I recommend it if you use ASP. A Snitz forum can be administered by pretty much anyone once it's installed and set up, doesn't require a programmer. To me, using the forum was child's play, but I'm a programmer by profession. Of course installing the software took me MANY HOURS because one of the ASP statements was crashing. I had to delve into someone else's logic and programming style. I had to find ONE bad statement somewhere in one of about 10 ASP files that were used just to load the first page.

I found it, a statement I'd never seen before and never used before. It had something to do with localizing the language. I took it out and it fixed the problem without affecting functionality. When I contacted my host (for the 3rd or 5th time) I discovered that the web site wasn't running under IIS after all, it was something else that was trying to support ASP and not doing it perfectly. I had previously been told it was running under IIS (Microsoft's web server).

Then it turns out that the forum software I felt was extremely easy to administer and use was confounding to my friend (who was supposed to administer it, it was HIS site after all) and to many of the users. The end result was that the site was never used very much and we let the domain name expire. I wasted MANY hours of my valuable time.

Call me a pessimist, mostly you'd be right, although I always insist I'm a realist. I don't underestimate the aroid society. They're the brightest, handsomest, cleverest, wittiest, friendliest, bestest bunch of people I've ever had the pleasure to associate with! That sounds sarcastic, but call it tongue-in-cheek because if it wasn't true I wouldn't hang around with you all.

Ask Enid and Dan Devor and Ron McHatton and the Malesiana guys and Tony Avent how much time (and expense) their web sites take up. I know mine takes a lot of time, and it's not even very good for all the effort!

I take you back to my opening sentence, "Hey, don't let my experience discourage anyone from taking on this project!" And if the aroid.org auction site does open for business I might even use it - if I'm not banned for being such a pain in the ass!

P.S. Thanks, George!

Brian Williams wrote:
I think you truly under estimate the aroid society. A quick search on Yahoo or Google will bring up tons of programs for building your own automated auction site. Most are under 100.00 dollars. I doubt it would be that big of a burden, a monitor to view the auctions so nothing inappropriate is up and that should about do it. People put up their own auctions with pics and descriptions. I don't see any problems with that. I would monitor it if it's that big a deal?
Aroid-l mailing list