[Aroid-l] Haemanthus humilis giant

Hi everyone,

I know this is way off base, but what the heck.  I'm planning on importing some Haemanthus humilis humilis 'giant' from Cameron McMaster this Dec. and one of our own suggested that others here may be interested in these truly unique plants.  These bulbs produce two (2) prostrate leaves each the size of a chair seat when mature as well as producing a wonderful paintbrush flower.  I've asked Cameron about these and his comment was:

"Our Giant Haemanthus humilis will be ready to ship in December early or early January  It would be better in December as it starts growing in January, as do the other summer rainfall Haemanthus.  These all come from a fairly moist climate so they will grow for you - the Giant likes to be in the shade most of the day - it comes from a cool south facing cliff where it gets very little sun.  You should have no trouble in getting it to grow - it is the easiest one for us."

If you would like to see one of his pictures you can go to the following site:  http://www.shieldsgardens.com/amaryllids/Cameron_McMaster_on_Haemanthus.html

If anyone is interested in these plants at cost please e-mail me privately and I'll let you know costs and phyto fees.  He of course has other Haemanthus as well.

Thanks for allowing this non-aroid post, but I'm pretty sure we all love other equally unique plants!!

Dan

Daniel Devor
zone 6a
Gibsonia, Pennsylvania