Re: [Aroid-l] A. prainii care instructions

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] A. prainii care instructions
  • From: Ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:21:57 EST

I find this species very easy to grow......just like A. paeoniifolius.  If your plant is a seedling, you can expect it to produce a series of leaves before it enters the first dormant phase.  I've had them stay up for two years during this phase.  Once the first dormancy sets in, it will establish a growth cycle similar to paeoniifolius, coming up in the late spring when the soil gets warm enough and going down at the end of the growing season.  Here in Florida, mine are just now showing early signs of dormancy.  At the end of the growing season, I unpot the corm, clean off the soil and inspect the corm, then replant it and let it stay dry until it comes up in the spring.  My flowering plants produce leaves between 6 and 8 feet tall.  My plants have never produced offsets and flower every year.

Ron McHatton
Mount Dora, FL