Re: [Aroid-l] Iron Chef - Konnyaku

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Iron Chef - Konnyaku
  • From: "Russell Coker" cokerra@bellsouth.net
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:26:11 -0600

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd add my 2 cents about konnyaku. Back in the mid '80's I lived way out in the country between Nikko and Kanuma in Tochigi Prefecture. As it turns out, A. konjac is a pretty important crop in Gunma, Fukushima and Tochigi Prefectures. One of my best friend's family farmed it exclusively, but I don't ever remember smelling it in bloom - thank God. Can you imagine acres of that stench?

In the spring the corms are ground into flour that is kneaded with water and formed into blocks. These blocks are then simmered in some sort of alkaline solution. While the aroma is quite appetizing as it cooks, I found the end product to be just the opposite. The finished konnyaku was a gelatinous glob that is sliced thin and eaten like sashimi or added to other dishes. Honestly, I don't remember any particular taste. It was the texture that, well, grossed me out. It was like chewing on a big piece of gristle and seemed to get bigger with every chew! But in all fairness I was 19 at the time, very new to Japan and I was having a hard time adjusting to a Japanese "country" diet.

Our konnyaku was extremely popular with the Japanese tourists who bought it up like crazy. It was explained to me that it was very healthy in general, and women especially bought it as an natural weight loss product. My guess was that after a few bites they had just lost their appetites!

Russell Coker (new to the list)
Mobile, Alabama 8b

----- Original Message ----- From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@bellsouth.net>