Re: [Aroid-l] Iron Chef - Amorphophallus konjac

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Iron Chef - Amorphophallus konjac
  • From: Albert Huntington balberth@yahoo.com
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:56:36 -0800 (PST)

I wrote an article on Konnyaku that was in the April edition of the IAS Newsletter.  Members can find it in the online archive at aroid.org.  There are some recipes and a little history.  Konnyaku has a very high fiber content, which I suspect is the basis for many of the health claims.

I've always liked it, though I would suppose that it takes some getting used to for some people.  It doesn't have a lot of flavor itself, so like tofu, many konnyaku applications let it take on flavors from other foods.  My (Japanese) mom always made a stew with konnyaku noodles and sliced konnyaku cake for new years.

It's readily available in the refrigerated section of your neighborhood asian grocery - you might want to try it out, if only for the experience.

--Albert

Rob Nicholson <RNICHOLS@email.smith.edu> wrote:
saw this episode years ago and it took us a long time to find out what konjaku was, not until you had your konjacs. it looked like slimy tofu

>>> alan_galloway@bellsouth.net 11/16/05 8:50 AM >>>
Did anyone see last night's episode of Iron Chef on the Food network? It
was a tie breaker
competition between 2 chefs with the secret intredient being
konnyaku.....which is processed
Amorphophallus konjac tubers. The two chefs created 8 dishes with konnyaku
that looked
absolutely delicious. I was almost ready to grab my Am. konjac tubers and
start boiling them!

For more info on konnyaku see:
http://www.shakespeare-w.com/english/konnyaku/whatis.html

Alan