RE: [Aroid-l] Multiple dormancy questions

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Multiple dormancy questions
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:11:33 +0000

From : 	John Ludwig <onesforusall@yahoo.com>
Sent : 	Tuesday, November 14, 2006 1:18 AM
To : 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Multiple dormancy questions

Dear John,

I will TRY to at least give you SOME advice, but this will depend on where you live and how cold it gets.
See below---

I am very inexperienced when it comes to the needs of
various Aroids while they are dormant.
I have the following varieties and would like to know
about any special needs they may have while they are
dormant.<<

1) Colocasia Heterochroma 'Dark Shadows'---I am not familiar with this species, but basically the genus Colocasis 'come' in either a form that produces a tuber before going dormant (like a Caladium does), and the stoloniferous varieties/species which do not. If you live in a cold zone where it remains cold/cool for a long period of time, with the corm/tuber forming vars. remove the corm/tuber from the soil, wash it, dust w/ a fungicide, and store in a paperbag in a cool/warm area. Here in Florida the garage does just fine. The species/vars with stolons, I have heard, can be stored in damp sphagnum kept cool, but I HOPE that someone with more experience writes in, these do not go dormant in their 'natural' state.

Sauromatum (Typhonium) venosum---treat like a Caladium or Colocasia w/ a corm, (above). Like other cormous genera, they should be ready for planting out in late spring and will let you know when the corm begins to produce a growing OR a flowering shoot.

Alocasia Sanderiana---see above, this one can be touchy!

Remusatia Vivapara---see above. Does this genus produce a corm??? I can`t find my TGOA 'bible' in my home`s confusion, but I believe from memory that it does.
Good Luck!

Julius