RE: [Aroid-l] Multiple dormancy questions

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Multiple dormancy questions
  • From: "D. Christopher Rogers" crogers@ecoanalysts.com
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:57:10 -0800

Hello John,

I can only comment on your Typhonium (formerly Sauromatum) venosum. I do not
know about the climate where you live, but here in central California (zone
8) I grow them out doors in pots and in the ground. The plants come out of
dormancy in the late spring pushing up a leaf which lasts for a few weeks,
and then is replaced by a larger leaf, which may or may not be replaced, and
lasts until the end of September. After the leaves die, I dig up all the
tubers, clean them and bring them inside. The usually start sending up a
flower in November, with the flower actually blooming in March, and then I
plant them after the flower dies. If I leave the plants out side during the
winter, the flowers are small and stunted, the tubers grow much more slowly,
and they produce very few offsets. This is one of my favorite plants.

I hope this helps,
Christopher

D. Christopher Rogers
Invertebrate Ecologist/Taxonomist
((,///////////=====<

EcoAnalysts, Inc.
(530) 406-1178
166 Buckeye Street
Woodland CA 95695 USA

? Invertebrate Taxonomy
? Invertebrate Ecological Studies
? Bioassessment and Study Design
? Endangered Invertebrate Species
? Zooplankton
? Periphyton/ Phytoplankton

Moscow, ID ? Bozeman, MT ? Woodland, CA ? Neosho, MO ? Selinsgrove, PA
www.ecoanalysts.com