Re: Amorphophallus from Thailand

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus from Thailand
  • From: Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:22:12 -0500

I purchased an imported A. pygmaeus tuber at the IAS show and sale in
September 2004. It did not emerge until this past spring - two and a
half years later!  Each spring, it appeared like it was going to do
something (the growing point beginning to develop slightly) but it would
just sit that way and then shrink back towards late summer. I kept it
potted during the normal growing season, providing regular moisture to
hopefully stimulate growth, and when nothing would happen I would store
the tuber dry for the winter.

Despite this long rest, the leaf that finally emerged this year appeared
perfectly healthy and robust, and hasn't showed any signs yet of wanting
to go dormant.

Another species that I purchased that same year (2004) took about 18
months to break dormancy, but appears to be on schedule now.

Adam Black

John Ludwig wrote:

>I have seen a few species of Amorphophallus from Thailand offered on
>eBay lately.
>A friend told me that he had purchased some in years past and that
>quite a few did not break dormancy for more than 18 months after he
>purchased them.
>Has anyone had similar outcome's?
>I am hesitant to purchase these tuber's.
>Thank you all for any information you are willing to share.
>Aroid-L mailing list

Aroid-L mailing list