Re: Amorphophallus from Thailand

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus from Thailand
  • From: "Alan Galloway" <alan_galloway@ncsu.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 16:18:55 -0400

John,

Most Thai Amorphs have a pretty regular growth/dormancy cycle.  But some species
are much more prone to skipping a season or two before either flowering or
sending
up a leaf.  Am. pygmaeus, atroviridis, and tenuispadix seem to be much more
prone
to skipping a growth/flowering cycle.

Am. parvulus and Am. napiger, and a couple of other species that grow these
thin, long
tubers also might fall into this 'skip a growth/flower cycle'
pattern.........The reason I say
they 'might' fall into this category, is that many years their tubers grow out
of the bottom
of the pot and are broken off when the pot is moved, so it could be the damage
to the
bottom of the tuber that causes them to skip a growth/flowering cycle.  I've
been trying
to keep some detailed notes on this hypothesis over the last few years, but
don't have
enough data yet to determine if my hypothesis is valid.

Alan