Re: Aroid Literature/Anthu. fruit

  • Subject: Re: Aroid Literature/Anthu. fruit
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:51:55 +0000

>From : 	edleigh <edleigh7@optusnet.com.au>
Sent : 	Wednesday, November 7, 2007 8:40 AM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Aroid Literature

G`day right back at youse, Ed and Leigh,

THE book you need is Deni Bown`s WONDERFUL volume,
"Aroids--plants of the Arum Family".   Be aware that there is NO one book
that can inedtify all the aroids that you may come across to their correct
species, Deni`s book will give you an overview of all/most aroid genera and
many popular and some obscure species, but there are just a very few experts
in the world who can most times give you an identification of say an obscure
species of Anthurium or Philodendron to the species level.   Dr. Tom Croat
of Missouri Botanical Garden is generally kind enough to do this with many
genera, especially Anthurium, Philodendron, Dieffenbachia, and many others.
Pete Boyce is great with Asian aroids, as is Dr. Alistair hay who 'lurks' is
great, and will step out to help where he can, Wilbert Hetterschied helps a
LOT w/ Amorphophallus and related genera, and Typhonium.
Concerning the photo on another post of an Anthurium sp. which develops
fruit without pollination, this is fairly common in a few species, but there
WAS an inflorsence/bloom present on which the showy red berries developed,
it was probably just VERY small and  inconspicous, no showy spathe like in
A. andreanum and some other species, as since it self-pollinates it may not
need to attract insect pollinators, and the red fruits are showy enough to
attract birds and other distributers for the fruit/seed.
Good Luck and Good Growing!

Julius
WPB, Florida, USA.

>>G'day, I am fairly new to Aroid l, I have been reading posts and trying to
>>take it all in to be honest. I haven't been into aroids for that long, but
>>I am quite passionate about them. I've got the "bug" so to speak.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good all round book on aroids so
I don't have to annoy people like Steve L for identification etc all the
time. I don't trust a lot of the information on non scientific sites on the
internet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ed & Leigh
Tropical Collector
Queensland Australia