Re: Aroid Literature

  • Subject: Re: Aroid Literature
  • From: "Peter Boyce" <botanist@malesiana.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:09:51 +0800

Ed & Leigh, welcome to the site and to aroids!

An excellent general intro to the family is Bown, Aroids, Plants of the Arum Family (ISBN 0 88192 485 7), Publ. 2000 by Timber Press

At the level of genus the current ref. is The Genera opf Araceae by Mayo, Bogner & Boyce (ISBN 1 900347 22 90). Publ. 1997 by The Trustees, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew although at 10 years old it is beginning to show it's age a tad in so much as there have been and will continue to be changes at generic level.

The main problem besetting aroids is that there is no single ref. to all the species - not really surprising given that the two biggest genera (Philodendron and iAnthurium) together probably contain 1800+ spp, of which perpahs as much as 50% are undescribed! Here in Sarawak our two largest genera (Schismatoglottis & Homalomena) probably account for 200 spp. with fewer than 80 described.

You are quite right to be sceptical of many aroid names on the web but as you get futher into this 9and I warn you, once you ar 'in'aroids there is no escape...) you'll begin torealize that certain people and sites are very trustworthy. So, for example, Tom Craot for Anthurium and Philodendron and central/south American aroids in general, Eduardo Gonçalves for Spathicarps and Brazil in general, Julious for the Lasioids and anything to do with edibility (and indeed recipes), Wilbert and Alan Galloway for anything tuberous, and so on.

Very best

Peter