Re: Dracontium prancei questions and answers .

  • Subject: Re: Dracontium prancei questions and answers .
  • From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy@zoominternet.net>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:01:15 -0500

Thanks George and Michael,
This is definately the easiest species I have tried (even easier and a much nicer plant than polyphyllum for me) of the Dracontium.  For anyone in a non-hospitable climate I can recommend this species as one to try if you have not had success with Dracontium.  I grow it for the winter in front of a south facing window is all here in zone 6a.
It is just starting a new growth now (maybe 1 m tall so far, but the leaf has not yet begun to really inflate) so maybe next spring I will repot (I rarely repot so have only seen the tuber once since I got it from you Michael).  I get a new petiole about once every 4-6 months now that it is a bit more mature.  I've also noticed that the new growth does not come out looking like a sheppards hook like the other species I have, but instead comes out pointing straight up, but perhaps this is a curiosity of only my plant and not the  species?  Next time I repot if the babies have some roots I will cut a couple off and see if they grow well for me!!
Thanks for all of the suggestions,
Dan Devor
Gibsonia, PA