Re: Dracontium prancei question

  • Subject: Re: Dracontium prancei question
  • From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy@zoominternet.net>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:11:59 -0500

Hi Julius,

I feel pretty confident of the ID as it came from a member here that is a
great grower of Dracontium down under, but you can see a pic of the
influorescence from 3 years ago here:
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/TreasuredBotanicals/Dracontium/?action=view&current=Dracontiumpranceicomposite.jpg

I do not believe in posting pics to the messages as it causes problems for
some people with slow connections.

If it requires dormancy then I hope I never see a bloom again to be honest.
I would hate to have it go dormant as it is just a lovely plant with the
petiole and leaf.

I do have a few other Dracontium, including one that is not identified from
Brasil that has offset like mad in the year I've owned it.  I wish my D.
prancei would do that, but I know it had babies when I unpotted and they are
just not prone to growing like my other species.

I should say that others like D. gigas, pittierii and peruvianum have not
appreciated my home environment and have never done well for me.  They seem
to hang on OK, but never are happy it seems.

I think you are right about the blooming all at the same time.  I guess I
was hoping that it came from an area that did not have a true dormancy
induced by a dry season.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Devor