Re: Dracontium prancei questions and answers .

  • Subject: Re: Dracontium prancei questions and answers .
  • From: Michael Pascall <mickpascall@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:53:39 +1000

I am very confident of the ID of this species , you have seen pictures of it many years ago Julius . We discussed it privately for a while with David Scherberich.
Dan , you will get ofsets from this plant , and they will grow roots when still attached to the mother tuber . They need to be cut off , unlike the easily seperated tubercles that form on most other species.
I think you may get a flower if you let it stress a little in mid winter . If you repot frequently , pay attention to the tuber shape , when it gets nearly round it should flower . And afterwards , you would see it will be more disc shaped [like a flying saucer] this explains how they work down to the bottom of the pot . I have noticed it grows easily and only slows down towards spring . I have several planted out under the edge of a large mango tree , they are looking good . Maybe a high P fert. like a bloom booster would help flowering , but I agree who needs a flower ? , its just a cool looking easy to grow species .
Michael Pascall,

Check our comprehensive Salary Centre Overpaid or Underpaid?