Re: Philodendron xanadu inflorescence

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron xanadu inflorescence
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 18:24:57 +0000

Hi All,

This is a very deformed bloom, only the spathe color is correct.  See what a real, natural and single spathed bloom looks like in the description of the species in Aroideana.
This one demonstrates a stage where the meristem/main rhizome may in fact be splitting into two plants.   This wide spadix/double spathe ''syndrome'' was discussed some time ago on aroid-L, and seems to be in common in aroids plants treated with chemicals or produced by the tissue culture method of reproduction.  On some plants a single flattened petiole but with two leaf blades is also common.  I THINK I replied to this before, but it might be lost in cyberspace as I did not see my reply on aroid-L, so here goes again!

Julius