Philodendron xanadu inflorescence

  • Subject: Philodendron xanadu inflorescence
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@exoticrainforest.com>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 23:22:40 -0600

Thanks Julius for the explanation.  As you know, I have read both of your Aroideana articles on P. xanadu and could not figure this inflorescence photo out since I realized it didn't match what it should be like.  I almost sent you a note but figured you'd be along soon enough with an explanation on Aroid l.  I had suspected something to do with the TC chemicals but you cleared up the "whys" of the multiple spathes.

Steve Lucas

ju-bo@msn.com wrote:
Hi All,

This is a very deformed bloom, only the spathe color is correct.  See what a real, natural and single spathed bloom looks like in the description of the species in Aroideana.
This one demonstrates a stage where the meristem/main rhizome may in fact be splitting into two plants.   This wide spadix/double spathe ''syndrome'' was discussed some time ago on aroid-L, and seems to be in common in aroids plants treated with chemicals or produced by the tissue culture method of reproduction.  On some plants a single flattened petiole but with two leaf blades is also common.  I THINK I replied to this before, but it might be lost in cyberspace as I did not see my reply on aroid-L, so here goes again!

> Date: T
fn:Steve  Lucas

Aroid-L mailing list