Re: Philodendron variifolium Schott

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron variifolium Schott
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:38:33 -0600

Thanks Tom.  I've tried to carefully examine the photo of Philodendron variifolium on Tropicos as well as read the brief description on CATE Araceae

Philodendron variifolium Schott sec CATE Araceae, 2009

LEAVES: Petiole terete, 20-25 cm long, shortly and narrowly sheathed in the lower part. Blade thinly coriaceous, shape decidedly diverse, cordate-oblong or sagittate-oblong, rarely hastate or hastate-oblong, apex with a 1-1.5 cm long cuspid, 20-26 cm long, 6-7 cm wide halfway; posterior lobes very short and very obtuse or elongate-oblong obtuse, separated by a short, wide, very open sinus, apex curved upwards; the posterior ribs in hastate blades are weak, horizontal, curving upwards in a sigmoid-curve, lateral veins of the anterior lobe all sub-equal.

The plants don't describe or look the same.  I'd love to find a specimen of the real Philodendron variifolium so I can observe it growing in the atrium.  As far as I can tell the blade of Philodendron variifolium can be somewhat cordate but should be more elongated than anything I've ever seen growing or sold using the name Philodendron variifolium.

Tom Croat wrote:

Dear Steve”

I don’t know how the Philodendron variifolium plant got confused with P. brandtianaum.  I have a photograph of drawing in my files of Poeppig 1281 or 1781 (I can’t read it well) and it is totally different.  While it resembles the plant that is on the tropicos website I know that it is different because I have seen lots of material that has leaves like this from that general area. It seems to me that this same plant was one of 2 or 3 collections with a Poeppig number part of which was P. deflexum.