Re: An open invitation.

  • Subject: Re: An open invitation.
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:46:12 +0100

Hi again,
Saving a file in jpeg format, you can choose the compression factor (in Photoshop while saving there is an option "Quality", you can choose a value between 0 - 12, and at the bottom of the window you can see the size of the converted photo). For plant photos the value 8-9 is enough.
You don't need to spend a cent for a new photo editor, just download Irfan View, it is free and very simple to use. The compression factor is displayed in percents, I usually use 75-85% for web photos depending on the colours (red details require higher quality).
I know that converting existing photos to a new format would be very time consuming. When I started with Araceum, the most common screen resolution was 800x600 px, so I was publishing photos in 300x400 px, and they are still there, but the new photos I add are larger.