Re: Colour Pictures in Aroidiana

  • Subject: Re: Colour Pictures in Aroidiana
  • From: "Greg Ruckert" <greg@alpacamanagement.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 08:39:18 +1030

This is an important discussion and I hope it doesn't degenerate to personal abuse or further disparaging remarks.

Not everyone sees paper publications as clutter!  I have been involved in and used the internet, almost since its beginning, but still prefer using hard copy when it comes to important matters.

Aroideana has been around for many decades, servicing both the hobbyist and professional botanist.  I believe, in that regard, the IAS is unique.

Digital is not everything, and, as some of the professionals on this list have alluded to, has its own problems in relation to photographs.

This is actually a part of a much larger discussion that the board of the IAS needs to have regarding the future of the IAS and what it offers.

The professionals can publish information in a range of other publications which makes life harder for those of us who don't have access to those publications.  This would be our loss.

If some chose not to pay the pittance that is our annual membership because Aroideana is not published in full colour then that is their loss.

I have seen comments from individuals that they won't join the IAS because they might only access the website once or twice a year.  I use it a few times per week!

As one of the non-professional I say "What the Hell?"  On average I spend more money on plants/seeds per week than what one year's membership (including my copy of Aroideana) costs me.

Maybe there needs to be a balance between professionals wanting black and white or line drawings versus the "eye-candy" of glorious colour pictures.

What must not be lost sight of is the incredible value of our organisation, the work it does and its publications (both hard copy and internet based).

What must also be kept in mind is the wonderful work that is done by volunteers within our society.  I, personally, give them ALL my thanks and appreciation to them.

For most of us we put in a small amount of money and receive access to a phenomenal resource.

It would be good to see those that want change putting in effort to do something within the IAS to bring about change or improvement.

While on my soapbox, I have also seen negative comments about the CATE-Araceae website.  This site is part of a much bigger botanical vision but has the potential to be the most incredible resource for aroid nuts.  There is a mountian of work to be done there but very few volunteers actually contributing.  I have seen some of the capabilities in development on CATE and they are spectacular.

I welcome discussion but rather than critics these things all benefit by having more volunteers giving input!