Re: Fwd: Trip

  • Subject: Re: Fwd: Trip
  • From: "Denis" <denis@skg.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:57:44 -0500

Jude:

Not sure where you collected this and from what tree.

However, Looks like large seed pod from a South Florida Mahogany tree. Seed pod splits on suture lines spewing out winged seeds that spiral down in the wind. Native to hard wood hammocks of South Florida it has Fast growing soft wood used for wood working.  Mahogany tree can be huge and Usually has a split crotch sort of branching habit when planted as a single specimen (out of the hammock)which makes it an ideal candidate for dropping huge limbs in the street in thunderstorms and hurricanes.

As children we were stupid enough to have hand grenade fights with these seed pods. Ouch! That thing is hard and heavy.

Denis

Silver Krome Gardens, Inc