Re: Colour Pictures in Aroideana

  • Subject: Re: Colour Pictures in Aroideana
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:05:11 -0500

Hello All,
I have been away for a while working on another book, but I will add to your discussion re colored pictures. I am nomenclature editor of the Hosta Journal and also of the OLJ, our OnLine Journal. We have been publishing 3 journals per annum, about 79 pages in large format and all color. The cost per printed journal is about $35.000, $70,000 for the two issues. With declining membership we were forced to publish one copy on line (OLJ) also in full color. Our first OLJ was published last year and contained 220 pages with hundreds of color pictures, important to the accurate color rendition of the many plastogene mutations in the genus Hosta. Our current OLJ, being released tomorrow, contains 550 pages, all color and again hundreds of color pictures. Cost?? ZERO! The OLJ is produced by volunteers without pay but with a lot of recognition for their service. All pictures are in small format embedded in the text as required, but it takes only one click to enlarge the picture to a much larger format at megapixel size. The OlJ has been well received. We have a few members without computer so they are not pleased. The OLJ is published on the AHS website and you can take a look at last year's copy by going to americanhostasociety.org and clicking on the home page facsimile of the "the public copy" of the 2010 OLJ. We make last year's copy available (in part) to all comers as a recruiting tool. It has worked so far. Don't forget to click on the color bar on the contents page to go to the 2010 Convention gardens and pictures. Some items are not in the public copy.
Perhaps the IAS has computer talent to try this method. Check out the AHS last years copy, maybe it will point the way.
I realize that electronic publication is still not accepted by the Codes, but we use our printed journals to publish scientific data and then publish further details in the OLJ.
W. George Schmid
Nomenclature Chair AHS
Aroid-L mailing list