New to AROID-L

Hello Aroiders,

being new to this mailing list I would like to introduce me in a few
lines.
My name is Bjorn Malkmus, I am living in Frankfurt/Germany, studying
Business Adminstration and dedicating most of my free time
cultivating all kind of plants, indoors and outdoors (especially
Crassulaceae, Cactaceae and various genus' from the Lily family).
Since quite some time I am cultivating some species of Aroids,
yet I have never put too much attention on them since at my
university (University of Mainz) an Amorphophallus titanum flowered
about two years ago. Impressing is almost an inproper word, it
was just fascinating. Furthermore since this was the
first A. titanum in the world, raised from a tissue culture, which
flowered (so I was told from a biologist). The next opportunity to
see an inflorescence was at the Botanical Garden of the City of
Frankfurt last year (Palmengarten der Stadt Frankfurt). Currently
they are cultivating 2 adult plants of this specie and a large
quantity of younger  specimen propagated in vitro (tissue culture).
That is when I started to gather some more information about this
family. I have to admit that my scientifical knowledge is still
at a medium level, however all of the species in my cultivation
are thriving better with every other year, reproducing themselves
faster as I can manage to provide more space for them (e.g. this year
alone I got 70 small corms of Arisaema triphyllum, raised from
seeds).

As I would like to exchange some of these 'excessive' specimen, here
is what I can offer:
Arum elongatum
Arum italicum
Arum maculatum
Arisaema triphyllum (~. A. atrorubens)
Dracunculus canariense
Sauromatum venosum

I am looking especially for any specie of the following genus':
Amorphophallus, Arisaema, Arum, Sauromatum (if there is any
other cultivated than S. venosum) and Dracunulus vulgaris. If there
is anyone who would like to make such an exchange, please contact me
(Living within Europe would make this a lot easier, though
it is possible with the States, too, as exportation of the species I
cultivate, does not require CITES. By the way: I raised all of the
species mentioned above either from seeds or from stock I was given
from Botanical Gardens in Germany, except the D. canariense, from
which I took seeds and extracted 7 corms from the wild 3 years ago,
taken out of the area of a forthcoming 'proyecto de urbanizacion' on
the Canary Islands. Those of you who speak Spanish will know what
this means in effect. Since that I have been there a couple of
times again and I regret not to have taken all of them. Not a single
plant survived. In general local habitats of this specie
are declining rapidly due to excessive construction. From 20 habitats
I discovered the first time I went to the islands (mainly Tenerife
and Gran Canaria), only 12 still exist after only 8 years. No
comment.

Greetings from Germany

Bjorn Malkmus
malkmus@verwaltung.uni-mainz.de