Re: aroids and Costa Rica travel

>I will be leaving for Costa Rica soon and wanted to know if people had =
>suggestions for great gardens  in Costa Rica.  Certainly those with =
>aroids would be wonderful, but any garden of interest would be fine.

Yes, by all means go to the Lankaster Gardens near Cartago.  My only
disappointment was that many of their specimens were not adequately
labeled.  They used to have a Home Page, but the link I had is not active.

I would also recomment 2 others:

The Arenal Botanical Gardens, 5km east of Arenal (about 110km NW of San
Jose as the toucan flies) is also very pretty.

The Wilson Botanical Gardens, operated by the Organization for Tropical
Studies, is between Golfito and San Vito in the south eastern part of the
country, very close to the border with Panama.  These are extensive gardens
and research facilities and I would recommend them highly.

The whole country is a wonderful place and if you have any additional
questions or are looking for recommendations on places to stay, please
contact me by private e-mail.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin