What Aroids Form Tubers on Leaves?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: What Aroids Form Tubers on Leaves?
  • From: Mark Nofsinger <mark@bruceco.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:41:33 -0500 (CDT)

I just joined this list because I've discovered that many of the plants I
like to grow are aroids!  Someone I know just acquired a plant of unknown
identity that looks a lot like pictures I've seen of various Amorphophallus
or Sauromatum, etc.  The weird thing about it is that it was forming tubers
at what I'm presuming are the leaf axils (I'm not up on my aroid
anatomy.)  The largest one, about 2cm diameter, was right where the leaf
joined the main, upright stem.  Is this unusual or are we going to have to
find some other way of identifying it?  Unfortunately the thing has just
gone dormant (we hope) or I'd be able to describe the leaf and stem a
little better.  We're potting up the main tuber and the little tuber-ettes
to see if they'll grow.  Thanks in advance for any info you can share!