Re: Philodendron spiritus-sancti

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Philodendron spiritus-sancti
  • From: "Scott Lucas" <htbg@ilhawaii.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:39:58 -0500 (CDT)

Aloha Jay,

I took a look at the photograph of Philodendron 'Santa Leopoldina' in
Exotica and can observe that this is not the same plant that I have, which I
think may be the "true" Philodenddron spiritus-sancti.  The leaves on my
plant are much narrower, the upper lobes of the leaf much sharper and, now
that appears to finally be setting into a more or less mature growth
pattern, the leaves are measuring a consistent four feet in length.  Mine
came from the IAS Auction in Miami in 1997 and, while it has grown
consistently, the stem is only about six inches long yet.  There is really
no internode between petioles at all.  It is a truly handsome plant with
deep green upper surfaces to the leaves and undersides red/purple.  It
flowered for the first time this year, producing 5 inflorescences... but no
fruit.  When it does (if it does) fruit, I will be anxious to pass seed out
to all takers!

Scott A. Lucas