Re: Philodendron spiritus-sancti

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Philodendron spiritus-sancti
  • From: "Jay Vannini" <interbnk@terra.com.gt>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:35:49 -0500 (CDT)

Hola, Scott!

Again, part of your description matches mine (almost no distance between
successive petioles, etc., stem still about 4" long), and leaf shape is
still kinda variable because this plant came from a microscopic cutting, so
it's still shape-shifting a bit. Last night when I went home, I checked it a
bit more carefully and noticed that the veins of the undersurface of the
four most recent four leave are a vivid scarlet like the petioles, that does
not "bleed" onto the lamina itself.

The posterior lobes of this plant do appear a bit "sharper" than the Exotica
photos (rather remiscent of some Alocasia spp.), and the drip tip
"corkscrews" about 90 degrees in all leaves. The upper leaf surface color is
a deep green with very few veins that are extremely pale in contrast. The
leaves possess and almost patent leather finish.

I understand that there are very few "lineages" established in the U.S. of
Santa Leopoldina I - although perhaps there is significant variation within
the population after all? Will try and post a photo of this beast on the IAS
ID site when the weather clears a bit.

Thanks for your input -