Re: Aquatic aroids for the subtropics

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Aquatic aroids for the subtropics
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:09:58 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: Arno King <arnoking@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Monday, October 16, 2000 5:23 PM
Subject: Aquatic aroids for the subtropics

Hi Arno,

Welcome to the List!   Forgive my tardy reply, life is hard!

>>Hello list

I live in Brisbane, Queensland on the northern east
coast of Australia. I am writing following mention of
Lasia spinosa growing in southern Florida. How hardy
is it? I believe we may have a similar climates.<

How cool/cold does it get where you live in Degs. F.?

>>I have numerous ponds and tubs in the garden. One of
my favourite plants, Typhonodorum (which got some
coverage a few weeks ago) does well in our climate. I
also grow Pistia, Orontium, various Colocasia and
Zantedeschia. I did grow Monotrichardia for a while.
It did well but I let it dry out when I moved house
and lost it (i would be grateful for any more seeds-my
source was the modern art museum in Rio- there was
plenty of seed there).<<

Will keep you in mind--try the Bot Garden in Sydney, they should still have
some specimens of Urospatha which I sent Alistar Hay a bunch of some years
ago, there was a lady there doing some sort of growth study that was growing

>What other aquatic aroids are likely to grow in my
climate? Any Cyrtospermas? There are many species in
cultivation in far north Queensland.What about
Lagenandra or Anubias? Are they reasonably hardy? I
saw many aquatic aroids in the garden of Roberto Burle
Marx a few years ago. Some looked like Spathiphyllums
others like large Anubias. Very ornamental.<

All will depend on how low the temp. falls at your place, Cyrtospermas do
NOT like it cool, they like warm water, and if it falls to about 60 deg. F.,
ESPECIALLY if there is wind, kiss all goodby!   I bring mine in when the
temp falls here in W.P.B.

What you saw in Brazil could have been Xanthosoma stratipes (the one like
Spath.), and it they had sagittate leaves, Urospathas.   Don`t know how
Lagenandra do in cool, and Anubias should like it warm, especielly the water

>Would be grateful for any ideas, particularly from the
south Florida members.

Arno King<<

Hope that the above helps!

Julius Boos