Re: Alocasia sarian

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia sarian
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:43:40 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: George Yao <gcyao@netasia.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 5:01 PM

Hi George and Friends,

First off I am NOT an 'Alocasia person', I LOVED them, they responded by
hating me and  dropping dead by the droves.    I have been reading about
this A. 'sarian' for a short while on this list, and the name sure sounded
familiar, so I looked around at the nursery where I am now employed and they
sell LOTS of it, a plant about 5-6 ft tall that seem to want to get even
larger as there is no sign of blooming as yet, three good leaves seem to be
carried at a time, two or three plants to a 7 gal. pot.   It MAY be a
species, but sure looks like a hybrid to me, I THINK that I can 'see' A.
sanderiana in it`s parentage.   There is another 'we' sell called A. 'white
knight' that looks pretty simular, but smaller in stature (about 2 1/2 ft.
tall) and the silver in the veins has sort of 'ran' into the surface of the
leaf giving a silvered effect, and it has mottled petioles.

George, if you find out more about the origin of A. sarian please let us

>>Hi Adam and everyone,

Offhand I can say what I heard that A. sarian or 'Sarian' was discovered in
Mindanao and named after Zac B. Sarian, an editor of the Home and Garden
and the Agriculture sections of Manila Bulletin (a daily newspaper) and
Agriculture, a monthly magazine published by Manila Bulletin. He was
awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award (a sort of Philippine version of the
Nobel Prize) a few years back for his untiring efforts to disseminate
information on modern agricultural technology. He is also an honorary
member of the Philippine Horticultural Society in which I am quite active

Some consider A. sarian a species but Dr. A. Hay, in his latest review of
Philippine Alocasias, regarded it as a hybrid.

Once in a while, I encounter Mr. Sarian, so I'll ask him for more details.

George Yao <gcyao@netasia.net>
Metro-Manila, Philippines