Re: Alocasia sarian

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia sarian
  • From: George Yao <gcyao@netasia.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:01:55 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Adam and everyone,

Offhand I can say what I heard that A. sarian or 'Sarian' was discovered in
Mindanao and named after Zac B. Sarian, an editor of the Home and Garden
and the Agriculture sections of Manila Bulletin (a daily newspaper) and
Agriculture, a monthly magazine published by Manila Bulletin. He was
awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award (a sort of Philippine version of the
Nobel Prize) a few years back for his untiring efforts to disseminate
information on modern agricultural technology. He is also an honorary
member of the Philippine Horticultural Society in which I am quite active  now.

Some consider A. sarian a species but Dr. A. Hay, in his latest review of
Philippine Alocasias, regarded it as a hybrid.

Once in a while, I encounter Mr. Sarian, so I'll ask him for more details.

George Yao <gcyao@netasia.net>
Metro-Manila, Philippines