[aroid-l] Anthurium rotundistigmatum help

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Anthurium rotundistigmatum help
  • From: "MJ Hatfield" mjhatfield@oneota.org
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 14:52:57 -0500

My big (for me) An. rotundistigmatum has been going down hill all summer,
ever since the squirrels knocked it to the ground breaking the clay pot. It
took me a while to notice but when I did I put it into a bigger pot with new
bark/peat/perlite around the outer space. But the leaves slowly turned a
burgundy color then they die. There was no apparent new growth.

I just unpotted the plant to find the roots (that were in the original pot)
all dead. However new roots are growing, in the outer new bark/peat/perlite
which was added at the time of repotting.

What should I do? I'm not an Anthurium grower so it's always been hit and
miss with them but I don't want to lose this plant. I'm cleaning away all
the old dead roots and hard water spraying away old potting mix. I will make
up some new mix and repot.

Is it all right to cut off the old leaves that are dying? Any other
suggestions on saving this plant, that does want to live, would be much

Thanks very much.

MJ Hatfield