[aroid-l] Philo cold hardiness and O/T Cyclanthaceae ID

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Philo cold hardiness and O/T Cyclanthaceae ID
  • From: Adam Black epiphyte1@earthlink.net
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 01:29:47 -0400

Here in northern peninsular Florida, Philodendron bipinnatifidum/selloum normally recovers very quickly after the harder freezes we experience each year defoliate it. The thick "trunks" never seem to be damaged, and new growth sprouts from the crown in early spring, and by late spring, the plant is full again. What makes this plant this cold tolerant? Does its native range extend into areas or altitudes that recieve occasional frosts? Or is it the thick trunk that protects it? If the latter is the case, would other self-heading Philodendrons fare just as well here in zone 8? Has anyone experimented with species like P. goeldii and P. williamsii in a similar climate?
Off topic question:

I was at my local garden center a few weeks ago seeing if they had anything unusual in. I was glad I did. I was passing by the three gallon pot section that have the usual Ficus and palm varieties, miscellaneous Spathiphyllum cultivars, etc, and a pair of plants caught my eye. At first, I though they were the palm Chamaedorea metallica, but they looked different. Upon bending over for closer inspection, the structure of the stem and dried up inflorescense revealed it wasn't a palm, and eventually it came to me that this was a member of the Cyclanthaceae family. I had always been fascinated with these plants as much as I am with certain types of Aroids, and never expected to have one available for purchase, especially at this place! According to the tag, the name given to the three foot high plant was simply "Jungle Drum $24.99". I would be very interested in figuring out the proper name of this species, and if anyone is familiar with this group of plants, I can email a photo for possible ID. The nursery was of no help in tracking down where it came from, and when I returned to purchase the other one, someone had already snatched it up. If anyone has any ideas of the species of this "Jungle Drum", please let me know off list. Also, if anyone has any members of this family available, please let me know. By the way, are members of Cyclanthaceae called "Cyclanthids, Cyclanthiads, Cyclanthoids, or what?