Re: [aroid-l] O/T Cyclanthaceae ID

>Off topic question:
>
>I was at my local garden center a few weeks ago seeing if they had
>anything unusual in. I was glad I did. I was passing by the three gallon
>pot section that have the usual Ficus and palm varieties, miscellaneous
>Spathiphyllum cultivars, etc, and a pair of plants caught my eye. At
>first, I though they were the palm Chamaedorea metallica, but they
>looked different. Upon bending over for closer inspection, the structure
>of the stem and dried up inflorescense revealed it wasn't a palm, and
>eventually it came to me that this was a member of the Cyclanthaceae
>family. I had always been fascinated with these plants as much as I am
>with certain types of Aroids, and never expected to have one available
>for purchase, especially at this place! According to the tag, the name
>given to the three foot high plant was simply "Jungle Drum $24.99". I
>would be very interested in figuring out the proper name of this
>species, and if anyone is familiar with this group of plants, I can
>email a photo for possible ID.  The nursery was of no help in tracking
>down where it came from, and when I returned to purchase the other one,
>someone had already snatched it up. If anyone has any ideas of the
>species of this "Jungle Drum", please let me know off list. Also, if
>anyone has any members of this family available, please let me know. By
>the way, are members of Cyclanthaceae called "Cyclanthids, Cyclanthiads,
>Cyclanthoids, or what?

Generally, I refer to them, and have heard them referred to, as simply
Cyclanths, recognizing that this is a simple shortening of the family name
to a nickname, essentially. More officially, the common name for the family
is the Cyclanthus family.
I also would be most interested in any illumination on what this "jungle
drum" plant could be - mistaken for a Chamaedorea metallica would indicate
to me that it wasn't outrageously large - a three foot tall stiff-stemmed
Cyclanth that has already bloomed is pretty impressive. Please either keep
this on the list as an OT thread, or Adam, keep me informed. Thanks.

Jonathan

Jonathan Ertelt, Greenhouse Manager
Department of Biological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
Box 35-1634, Sta. B
Nashville, TN  37235  USA
(615) 322-4054
jonathan.ertelt@vanderbilt.edu

** NOTE NEW UNIVERSITY MAILING ADDRESS, AS OF 7/15/02 **
	(home address remains the same)