Re: [aroid-l] Philo cold hardiness and O/T Cyclanthaceae ID

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Philo cold hardiness and O/T Cyclanthaceae ID
  • From: MossyTrail@cs.com
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:07:21 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2002 8:53:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
epiphyte1@earthlink.net writes:

> Also, if
> anyone has any members of this family available, please let me know. By
> the way, are members of Cyclanthaceae called "Cyclanthids, Cyclanthiads,
> Cyclanthoids, or what?

My Biology professor called them Cyclanths.  I, too, am as much interested in
these as in Aroids, because they have almost the same kind of inflorescence
-- a spadix, and in a few species, one or more spathe-like stuctures.  I was
first attracted to them by my utter amazement at seeing an "epiphytic palm,"
which of course was not really a palm at all.  Several times I have wished
there was a "cyclanth-l" mailing list, or something similar.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large