Re: [aroid-l] HID Lights

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] HID Lights
  • From: Riley2362@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:44:22 EDT

Hi Susan and All,
HID lights for indoor growers have opened a whole new world of growing.  I
used to only grow under fluorescents, and small plants because the efficacy
of the light diminishes radically after about 2 feet and MANY Aroids are
considerably larger than that and require higher light intensities that one
could ever obtain from any number of fluorescent tubes.  Notably Anthuriums,
Amorphophallus and many orchids require those high light intensities.
Charlies Greenhouse <A HREF="http://www.charliesgreenhouse.com/";>http://www.charliesgreenhouse.com/</A> on the West Coast
carries many different light setups but I ended up buying mine from a
slightly more local source in the East at <A HREF="http://www.thegrowroom.com/";>http://www.thegrowroom.com/</A>
My fixture is 1000 watt total, with a 400 and 600 watt bulb, one is sodium
and the other metal halide - I forget which is which.  The bulbs burn very
hot so you need good ventilation but the plant growth is amazing.  Of course
then you need more space, then you need more plants - it goes with the
territory.
Cheers - Michael Riley in NYC