Re: [aroid-l] Etymology of AROID <= ARUM <= ARON

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Etymology of AROID <= ARUM <= ARON
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:09:51 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron <ronlene@adelphia.net>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 5:46 PM

The only hint that I can offer re: the tubers sold by Mr. Home at the
Fairchild show is that one set was Pycnospatha sp., these tubers were very
'flat', lighter colored and disc-like, a couple were actually blooming.
All the others were a grab-bag of take-a-chance plants as regards species, I
suggested to several friends that they purchase some of the elongate tubers,
as these had produced some nice vars. of Pseudodracontium in past years.
(shiny-smooth, well-marked petioles.)
Good luck,

>>I feel honored to have evoked such intellectual discourse on what I
supposed, was a simple question. Apparently, in order to find an answer, we
had to leave the family Araceae and venture to a foreign family, Liliaceae.
I don't think the Trillium flower bears to much resemblance to an "Aroid"
flower.  Ron    P.S. I still hope someone can give me the names of the
tubers that were sold at the Fairchild show by the Thai man.