Re: [aroid-l] hibernation time

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] hibernation time
  • From: "C. J. Addington" cjaddington@earthlink.net
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 21:39:21 -0700

on 10/1/03 07:59, Wilbert Hetterscheid at hetter@worldonline.nl wrote:

> CJ, why would you rinse off the soil? Why not put it in a pot with the soil
> still "attached" and keep on watering and feeding until the leaf starts to
> decay?
> Lord P.

Hi Wilbert!
    I usually quit feeding mine once the weather turns cold because I don't
have any kind of greenhouse or grow area, although I sure wish I did! Once
it gets cold and dark outside, I have no way to keep my plants warm enough
or well-lit enough to keep up any metabolic activity, so I often just clean
them up and let them dry before our winter rains can start and saturate the
soils with cold water. Of course, being in California this often does not
occur until late October or early November, and most other Amorphs in the
rest of the nation are long dormant anyway!
    Personally I love the extreme "hands-on" approach, and have been known
to unpot a growing plant just to see what's going on underground. I re-pot
and re-plant many of my plants several times a season, just because it's
fun. They seem to respond well to it (I know that my Dracunculi sure love
it) and I rarely lose things, but I can also see how other people may not be
into that kind of intensive, invasive treatment of plants.
    I would guess that in a colder climate, keeping a plant going in a pot
after digging it up may actually be a better technique than what I do. I am
sure that what works for one area might be totally inappropriate, or at best
non-optimal, for another area. That's part of the fun of communicating with
other aroiders - the opportunity to hear what other people do with their
little green kids. Half the fun of an expensive, time-consuming,
space-hogging hobby is the chance to talk about it with other fanatics!  : )
    At the moment, only a couple of my Amorpho species are even showing any
signs of fading, so I won't be doing any harvesting for quite a while yet.
We're still in the 80's here, with nights in the 60's, so I am hoping that
the corms are still fattening - although it takes all my will-power to not
dig them up and look!
    Have a great harvest season!