Re: [aroid-l] How to correctly identify

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] How to correctly identify
  • From: James W Moore jmoore2@carolina.rr.com
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:28:30 -0400

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 18:31:33 -0400 (EDT)
LMassey628@aol.com wrote:

Linda I hope you received the message I sent you regarding help with IDs
for novices.  IMHO there is no sure fire way to tell short of a microscope.
It begs the question however on IDing EE in general and Alocasia in
particular. Between the hybrids, mutations and stable mutations, indica,
synonyms and regional diversity.  I doubt if anyone could say definitely
how many there are let alone ID each one with any degree of certainty by
eye. Heck thats half the fun would you agree?

It is often over looked that a lot of us are new and our collection
are growing.  Acquiring an Alocasia macrorrhiza variegata.and seeing the
leaves develop is an experience completely indescribable matched only by
the despair felt when trying to ID an African Mask. Books are fine but I
can find a more recent pic on the net  I want to know what it is , how to
grow it and its origin..   To see a  plant grown in the ground is essential,
often it looks completely different than one grown in a pot, a Sarian for
example.. Thats whats makes EE so interesting and  totally comsuming.  The
hunt, care and growth like no other group always something new, a different
experience in varying regions

Happy gardening

  >    For the aroid experts on the list - is there any easy way that a novice can
  >    identify whether a plant is an Alocasia or a Colocasia just by looking at the
  >    leaves ?  Thanks for the help.
  >    Linda

Age, memories, and trials are cumulative. They give way to both wisdom and ignorance, life is discerning the difference..