Re: [aroid-l] Epipremnum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Epipremnum
  • From: Eugene Hoh hohe@symphony.net.au
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:52:54 +1000

dear folks,

further to Julius's comments:
indeed - I hope he will, too, please!

I remember a similar discussion on aroid-L  - where Peter was explaining, in his earlier work on Epipremnum, he treated the plant as E. pinnatum cv. 'Aureum'  (see http://www.aroid.org/genera/epipremnum/eaureum.htm - the paper is on the IAS website). However, later, inspecting a wild plant from Moorea (E. mooreense , which he also
included under E pinnatum), he decided that it matched the green form of E. pinnatum cv. 'Aureum' - and that it should indeed be a distinct species.

There was then discussion from Wilbert re. which of the former names, (E. aureum or E. mooreense) should be reinstated for this species (expecting confusion if the common cultivar ended up as E. aureum  'Aureum').  I've found a link to this, in the aroid-L archives: http://www.hort.net/lists/aroid-l/jun01/msg00129.html

My apologies to Peter (and Wilbert) if this is a poor summary, and if I've spoken on your behalf without asking...

And sorry also, if this archive-trawling seems a bit obsessive and creepy...!
I just happened to pay special attention to this topic - E. pinnatum is one of few well-known aroids native to Australia. Also I once spent a very long year deeply entangled in Monsteroids - as an honours student researching the leaf holes.... yet I still have an affinity for them.

Eugene Hoh
Sydney, Australia