Re: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix fruits

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix fruits
  • From: Aroideae@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:09:46 EDT

hi linda,
yes, this is a marvelous plant and seems to make viable seeds readily.  i've had good and bad luck germinating the things.......they can take a VERY long time and even longer to take hold and grow out of the seedling stage.  i plant in a well-drained mix, ca. 1/2 peat to 1/2 perlite, with the seeds about 1 cm below the soil surface.  water the medium heavily before planting the seeds, then poke them in a bit and pull the soil over them.  cover with plastic or place the pot in a tie-off plastic bag and keep warm, (70--80 deg minimum) out of direct sunlight.  some of mine have taken 1 1/2 yrs to germinate!!  i don't know where you live, but the species can't take a lot of cold and never freezing temps, although it could possibly survive it if dormant and completely dry.
My Synandrospadix seems to have made 13 plump yellow fruits.  I have not squashed any to see if they contain seeds.  Does anyone have any suggestions about how I should treat them ?
I think this is a wonderful plant for a prominent spot in a garden.  It has very elegant and eye-catching glossy, wavy leaves that beg to be noticed.  I had an article about this plant accompanied by three photos in our local paper in September.
Aroid-l mailing list