RE: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix fruits

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix fruits
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:15:32 +0000

>From: LMassey628@aol.com
>To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
>Subject: [Aroid-l] Synandrospadix fruits
>Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:04:12 EDT

Hello Linda,

Congrats of your fruiting Synandrospadix!   This S. American native certainly is a lovely plant!    My friend Bobby used to have one of the largest speciens of this plant that I had ever heard of, but it became infected w/ nematodes and quickly declined.    His used to bear MANY blooms during the summer months here in S. Florida, and as a consequence it also produced MANY fruits!    I do NOT recomend anyone doing what I am about to say I did, but the fruits were so big and juicy, I tasted one and found it to be quite sweet and flavorful.   I have reported this 'experiment' on this list some time ago.   We cleaned the skin and flesh off the large seeds by washing and the use of a toothbrush, and planted the seeds just 1/2 covered with moist soil, and covered the pot w/ plastic wrap with many small holes/slits poked in it.    The pot was kept moist in a warm, well-lit area with NO direc t sun, and most germinated over a period of about a year, some more quickly than others.    I hope that this info. helps.   Please keep us informed.

Sincerely,

Julius