Re: [Aroid-l] Arum - minimum temperatures

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Arum - minimum temperatures
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 02:18:38 -0400

Well, not sure where you are, Peter, but A. italicum var. pictum (or
whatever it really is) is bone hardy in my garden, which I call z7
but borders on 6b.  If you're in a similar climate, you could
probably wrap the pot in bubble wrap and leave it out for the winter.
 In the garden, leaves flatten when the weather is really bitter, it
snows or we have an ice storm, but they perk up during warmer spells
and they put out lots of new foliage in spring, flower and go dormant
end of June or early July to wake up late August or early Sept.

Those that I have that are not hardy for me winter in my cool
greenhouse, which often gets nearly freezing, where they grow all
winter and then go dormant in summer - I just let the pots get
dry...they may get some water when other things in there get watered,
but not on purpose.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade, Suite101.com
Shadyside Garden Designs