Re: [Aroid-l] Arum - minimum temperatures

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Arum - minimum temperatures
  • From: "Steve Ritchey" sritchey@shreve.net
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:41:01 -0500

Peter,
Summer is the normal dormant time for all ten or so Arums I have in the ground here. The first ones I got many years ago were sold as 'summer bulbs'. I killed most of them by watering & fertilizing trying to get them to grow in the summer :) The foliage starts to yellow mid-June here no matter what the weather conditions are. I think this may be a response to day length like Alliums. At that point I stop watering and let them go completely dry & dormant for the summer and they always live to break dormancy and start growing with the autumn rains. Hurricane Rita woke them up a little early this year.

Steve
USDA Zone 7
Northeast Texas

----- Original Message ----- From: "Baumfarn Webmaster" <webmaster@baumfarn.at>