[Aroid-l] Re: Cyrtosperma merkusii--the story

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Cyrtosperma merkusii--the story
  • From: "mossytrail" mossytrail@hctc.com
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 18:45:56 -0800

> Dear Friends,
> Thanks, Brian, nice photo!!
> While we are on this subject, perhaps someone out there
> may be able to  provide us w/ some information on a couple
> of subjects. A good friend has told me that several years
> ago, while visiting Hawaii, he  recalls visiting (he
> thinks) 'Lyonn Arborium' (name/spelling?)

Lyon Arboretum.  It is up the Manoa Valley, near the
trailhead to Manoa Falls, on Oahu.  Unfortunately (for me),
it is only open when I am at work -- that is to say,
weekdays only, closed weekends and holidays.  That section
of the island, however, is of particular interest -- the
Manoa Valley/ Mt. Tantalus area has a much greater diversity
of introduced aroids growing wild than I have seen anywhere
else in the Islands.

Off topic, does anyone know
> if there are folks here in the USA who have  plants of
> native Hawaiian Hibiscus genera/species in cultivation??
> Good Growing,
The Audubon Center in Waimea, Oahu has extensive botanic
gardens, with many specimens of the extinct-in-the-wild
Hibiscus brackenridgei.  But I doubt they are available for
Aroid-l mailing list