Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma merkusii--the story

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Cyrtosperma merkusii--the story
  • From: "Alistair Hay" ajmhay@hotmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:27:41 +1000

Cyrtosperma chamissonis is a name that has been used for the cultivated (and usually unarmed) forms in the Pacific.

When I was looking into this 20 years ago, I formed the opinion that the cultivated forms intergraded with the very spiny Javan wild-type C. merkusii, and hence I used the name C. merkusii to cover both the wild and the cultivated forms.

I also formed the opinion that Bornean C. ferox and Malayan C. lasioides belonged to this variable species.

I know Josf Bogner disagrees with me about C. ferox :-)