[Aroid-l] Anchomanes

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Anchomanes
  • From: "D. Christopher Rogers" crogers@ecoanalysts.com
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:18:51 -0700

I am new to the list, and I look forward to learning from the various discussions herein. My interests lie primarily with the tuberous aroids although I have a soft spot for Alocasias. I mostly grow Arum, Arisema, Dracunculus, Helicodiceros, Amorphophallus, Anchomanes, Typhonium, Gonatopus, and the like. I am looking for Biarum, Arisarum, and Eminium.

Anyway, here are my first questions: I was given a plant recently that appears to be a young Anchomanes. It is only about 60 cm tall. It has the typical tuber, spiny petioled, dracontioid leaf, and the slowly dividing pinnae. The petiole is purplish green, with a pale spot above each spine. Is there any way to identify the species at this stage or do I have to wait until it matures and flowers? Are there specific characters that I should look for? Three species are listed on the IAS web site, are there more? I have A. difformis, and it differs from the specimen at hand in having a green petiole.

Any information, citations, references would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

D. Christopher Rogers

Invertebrate Ecologist/Taxonomist

EcoAnalysts, Inc.

(530) 406-1178

166 Buckeye Street

Woodland CA 95695 USA

Invertebrate Taxonomy

● Invertebrate Ecological Studies

● Bioassessment and Study Design

● Endangered Invertebrate Species

● Zooplankton

● Periphyton/ Phytoplankton

Moscow, ID ● Bozeman, MT ● Woodland, CA ● Neosho, MO ● Selinsgrove, PA

Aroid-l mailing list