C. gaoligongensis?/Pete /THANKS

  • Subject: C. gaoligongensis?/Pete /THANKS
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 22:43:51 +0000

>From : 	Peter Boyce <botanist@malesiana.com>
Sent : 	Friday, October 5, 2007 10:42 AM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Colocasia gaoligongensis?/Pete Boyce

Thanks Pete,
I KNEW that you`d have an answer!
BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--Can I/we eat it???  Huh???  Huh Pete, can I eat it,
cook it and eat it???   Huh?  Huh??  Huh Pete??  Edible???   Huh Pete???
:--)

Colocasia walalwalabingbang (AKA Julius)

>>Ah ha! Have just realized that this is the photo I should have checked
and
not the other which is now clearly Zantedeschia... blame 10 days in the
field and too much instant noodles..

This IS gaoligongensis; note the open spathe, the leathery, glossy
leaves
and the loose habit all very different to esculenta. This is close to
the
cultivar of esculenta (which is nothing to do with esculenta) called
'Fontanesii'

Peter<<