Re: dactylifer bulbil (was bulbifer bulb)

  • Subject: Re: dactylifer bulbil (was bulbifer bulb)
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 01:46:57 -0400

Hi George,

I've grown a number of Am. dactylifer and I've never had one produce a
bulbil. This plant produces lots of very small offsets at the top of the
tuber which must be left attached whereupon next season some of them
will form new plants. If your dactylifer produced a bulbil then I think
your plant is misidentified.

-Ken Mosher

George Yao wrote:
> Susan,
> Last year, I saw my A. dactylifer grew a bulbil at the apex of the
> petiole, so I tried an experiment growing it. After the leaf dropped,
> I planted the bulbil, but shortly thereafter it had turned
> brownish-black when I checked. Fearing that it was starting to rot, I
> removed it from the pot, cleaned it, and put it in a covered clear
> plastic cup so that I can keep an eye on it. To prevent it from
> drying out, I moistened it once in a while. It very slowly
> transformed into a tiny tuber with a growing point. After still
> sometime, it started to grow roots and that's when I planted it again.
> George Yao
> Metro-Manila
> Philippines
Aroid-L mailing list