Re: bulbifer bulb

  • Subject: Re: bulbifer bulb
  • From: George Yao <gcyao@mydestiny.net>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 00:01:54 +0800

Susan,

Last year, I saw my A. dactylifer grew a bulbil at the apex of the
petiole, so I tried an experiment growing it. After the leaf dropped,
I planted the bulbil, but shortly thereafter it had turned
brownish-black when I checked. Fearing that it was starting to rot, I
removed it from the pot, cleaned it, and put it in a covered clear
plastic cup so that I can keep an eye on it. To prevent it from
drying out, I moistened it once in a while. It very slowly
transformed into a tiny tuber with a growing point. After still
sometime, it started to grow roots and that's when I planted it again.

George Yao
Metro-Manila
Philippines