Re: gonatopus boivinii dormancy

  • Subject: Re: gonatopus boivinii dormancy
  • From: "Leo A. Martin" <leo@possi.org>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:58:18 -0700 (MST)

This plant grows during warm weather and is dormant during cooler weather.
The only other thing I can say is that this plant is highly susceptible to
spider mites. I can't keep it alive very long in low-humidity Phoenix due
to repeat spider mite attacks. (No greenhouse here at Castillo San
Miguel.) In a typical centrally-heated house you are going to have lots of
spider mites. Better keep an eye on it, and be ready with the spray bottle
of water or rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) to kill the mites.

Leo Martin
Phoenix Arizona USA

> I have a dormancy question about this species.
> I have just recently brought this indoors for the winter. This is my
> first year growing this and have had it for about 4 months now. It
> did not put on any new growth, but when I re-potted it in late August
> it was just starting to produce a lot of new roots.
> I had to re-pot almost everything I had because my soil was not
> draining well at all.
> The light level has dropped for this plant since I brought it inside
> 3 weeks ago. The leaves are turning a little yellow. No new growth
> yet above soil level.
> Does this Species have a distinct dormant period?
> Or should I attribute the yellowing to possibly slight over watering
> and not enough light since it was moved indoors?
> Does this species require bone dry conditions during dormancy?
> I thank everyone for any advice they can share.
> Regards,
> John Ludwig

Aroid-L mailing list