Re: 2nd Annual Aroid show?

  • Subject: Re: 2nd Annual Aroid show?
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:48:15 +0000

>From : 	Bryan Lampl <blampl1@earthlink.net>
Sent : 	Tuesday, October 9, 2007 6:24 PM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] 2nd Annual Aroid show?

Dear Aroid Friends,

Steve`s idea is a VERY good one.   Just from my association w/ the S. Miami
Aroid group and the many shows I have attended,
I offer this info.
To hold a show, and more importantly to KEEP holding shows consistently year
after year, a CORE group needs to be there or created.   THESE are the ones
who will MAKE a show happen.   It takes a HUGE amount of prep`s. for these
shows to take place, they just don`t "happen", and SOMEONE has to literally
take the lead chair, and of more importance, the ability to attract a core
group of friends/helpers to assist him or her in the the ''grunt work'',
which is a LOT.   Brian and others have pointed out the difficulty of
transporting plants across State lines, etc., but hopefully a way can be
found to overcome this.
In Miami this kind invaluable group of persons has existed for MANY years,
some have been recognized for their effors and great accomplishments.   I
hesitate to call or write their individual names for fear of slighting one
or two that I might overlook, but I think most of us KNOW who the
''foundation stones'' of the Miami IAS group are!   I take this opportunity
to give ALL of you my sincere thanks for providing me, and many of my
friends and colleagues with many a year of GREAT and most enjoyable IAS
shows!!
I HOPE that 'out there' just might be a group of Aroid 'nuts' who are
willing to make some sort of show or sale come together, as with the big
upsurge in interest (well pointed out by Steve Lucas)  seemingly Worldwide,
in buying Aroids, there is money to be made, and this may be the spark or
the  ''match'' that convinces some folks to 'light a fire" and organize and
hold some sort of Aroid sale and show!
I wish you all well.

Good Growing,

Julius

>>Hello Aroiders,
I would like to make the suggestion of switching coasts annually so
that those of us on the west coast could have a better chance of
attending.  I also do like the idea of taking the plants to the
people and having the show do some sort of country tour hitting a
different location each year that highlights a botanical garden or
location that would have a display of aroids for us to drool over.

I do suppose one of the most difficult issues would be the
transporting of plants for sale.  Obviously a lot of the suppliers
for the Florida show are from that area and only have to load up a
truck to deliver the goods.

Bryan Lampl
Southern California<<